Run a business? Check out LessAccounting, our bookkeeping system that'll save you hours per week.

Announcing:

We built the entrepreneur's bookkeeping system, it's called LessAccounting. You'll probably love it.

Let It Slide

written by Steven on March 29, 2012

I have a friend; a super smart girl who does marketing. She's going crazy with too much stuff to do; too many opportunities, too many people who want her help and not enough time to do it all (forget finishing her Masters Degree or having a few minutes at the end of the day for herself or to sleep).

Allan and I have always been in the same boat as this girl (except for the whole Masters degree thing, yuck). We've always had a ton of stuff we could do, and we truly want to do it all, but we can't. At first we tried to just work all the time, but that's unrealistic on a long-term basis.

I think one of the things Allan and I do quite well (something that most people are unable to do) is to draw a line in the sand and say, "That's enough." And we're fortunate enough to even be able to see that line before we begin a project.

There's a part in Fight Club where the narrator explains how Tyler Durden handles his problems. He says, "You had to give it to him: He had a plan. And it started to make sense, in a [Fat] Tyler sort of way. No fear. No distractions. The ability to let that which does not truly matter, slide."

You can't do it all. You have to draw your line in the sand. You have to figure out what truly matters and let the rest slide.

Business Owners: save hours per week with LessAccounting. It's like Quickbooks, just not total shit.

8 Comments

Dennis Keefe
Dennis Keefe said on March 29, 2012

Thanks Steve,
Although I do not struggle daily with tons of opportunities, I do work hard everyday. My goal is to free myself from my day job so I can spend more time with my family.

Brian
Brian said on March 29, 2012

Steven,

No truer words were spoken, or as timely. This is indeed the #1 biggest thing I struggle with in my life. I got a good glimpse at my problem when I saw my son starting to follow my lead.

To exacerbate my problem, I’m kind of a all or nothing person. So I’m more likely to either continue to keep trying to do it all, or one day drop off the face of the earth and spend the rest of my days living in a log cabin in the mountains.

Not sure there’s much hope that I’ll find middle ground.

Holly
Holly said on March 29, 2012

Hey, I know that girl! :) Great post. This is something we all need to remember… I know that this is something that I’ve struggled with throughout the years. I’m grateful that my husband has forced me to slow down and savor life. It’s easy to allow yourself be pulled too many directions… Thanks for the reminder!

Steven Bristol
Steven Bristol said on March 29, 2012

@Brian,

If you’re having trouble, then just pick a line at random (time, feature, cost). When you get there stop. Then reassess.

Siddharth
Siddharth said on March 29, 2012

Great post.. Thanks. I just needed to read this. Couldn’t have written this at a better time. Thanks

researchpaperwriter
researchpaperwriter said on March 29, 2012

VEry nice!

Shane
Shane said on March 29, 2012

Filling this under “Everything I Need To Know I Learned From Fight Club”

Maybe our careers aren’t ladders, they’re snowballs. Every bit of good work we do gets added to the sum of what we’ve done. Maybe.

Great post.

samedayessay.com
samedayessay.com said on April 19, 2012

Thanks a lot for this post!